July 20, 2008

The End of Summer



The end of summer is almost here. Those of you who are not teachers might lack an appreciation for this blog title(parents might be doing a happy dance over this blog title!!!!). I know my wife is going to pass over this blog...clinging to the last fleeting moments of summer uninterrupted by her husbands unexplained excitement for the coming school year!! I don't know what it is.....but I get so darn excited for the start of school. I've always loved school though. I've already been back in my classroom...working on bulletin boards, painting shelves, and arranging furniture. My principal saw me on her first day back & said..."How did I guess I'd see you here today?!" :o) ha ha She knows me too well. Teachers HAVE to be back Aug. 6th & kids come back Aug. 11th. I better get busy.....it will be here before we know it!!!!!!


Let me leave you with a few funnies from the 4th Grade Art Assessments........


*One of the questions from the Judgement portion of the assessment asked : WHAT DOES THE PICTURE TELL YOU ABOUT AMERICAN HISTORY? One of my students....answered, "It looks like it was done when Mr. E was a kid." Ummmm....NO ERIN...A LITTLE BEFORE MR. E's TIME!!!!! SNAP THE WHIP by Winslow Homer, 1872
*We saw "BACK IN THE DAY" thousands of times while grading the assessments(I'm not exaggerating). WHO SAYS BACK IN THE DAY?!?!?!?!?! Were they temporarily possessed by their old Aunt Nancy May? Odd...very odd.
*The students also had a great deal of trouble with Winslow Homer's name.....
Wind Slow Homer
Winlow Hawlmer
Wendlo Hoemer
and the winner is!!!!!!!
WIZ LOW HUMMER


2 comments:

sixwickerts said...

WOW! August 11th! That is early for kids to come back to school, almost a month ealier than in Ketchikan. The kids and I will be coming up around the 9th....getting closer :)

pturner63 said...

I love the fact that you love teaching children. "Artsy fartsy" are your words for you, but I am thankful you let God use you in such a strong way to influence children. I pray for you and Shana that God will use you both to impact kids lives who have very little positive influence in their lives.