May 23, 2008

Proud "Art" Papa




I thought if I said Proud Papa for the title...ya'll would get the wrong idea! Probably some of you still have the wrong idea. NO BABY! ha ha As an art teacher though, I often feel like the father of many & that I'm instilling ideals, values, information, and skills to my kids. Last night I was a very proud "art" papa. I went to Wal-Mart & ran into one of my students. He had an arm full of yard & his mother was right behind him with his weaving(yesterday was the last day of school, and I passed out their work). I had informed my students that if they did not finish their weaving that they could get the same yarn at Wal-Mart that I had in the classroom. Not in a million years would I have guessed that this 4th grader would be the one to actually do it!!! He wasn't my most motivated student during the year, but really seemed to enjoy the weaving project. I had praised him for his amazing color choices...and sure enough..he found those colors to finish off his weaving. What a nice way to end my school year...maybe someone listened...maybe someone learned...maybe someone gained a new appreciation for art.....maybe someone found they had talents they never knew they had.

No comments: