May 13, 2008

What's in a Name


What's in a name? My name, Ted(and yes that is my given name), means "Gifted" in some translations. That's a lot to live up to!! ha ha I found one of those name mugs once that actually said "Gifted in the Arts & Musics". Crazy, eh?!?!?! My parents had not a clue when they named me that I'd be an artsy fartsy. However, what I see in my name is my father. His given name was Herman Edward Edinger, but everyone called him Ed. This picture is from my dad's garage. I snapped it the first time I took Shana up to Ohio to meet my friends & family...and to see where I grew up. It's funny..the ED part of Ted sticks out to me. The T is a little lower & a bit off from the ED. Maybe I'm just missing my dad. I wish Shana could have met him. He would have totally loved her(her beauty & firey personality would have won him over). He was a character!!! Never met a stranger, had a story for any situation, very funny, and extremely loyal to his family & friends. For sure I got his looks(I don't have any digital photos...or I'd show ya!)...and I got the "ed" for Ted....but I feel that he modeled that zest for life, family, & relationships to me...even if I didn't know it at the time. May is a tough month in regards to my dad. My parent's 38th anniversary would have been May 8th. My dad would have turned 59 May 14th. He was diagnosed with cancer in 1999 on the 21st & died on the 25th(yes...the same week!). I miss my dad. I didn't realize how much we had in common till he was gone....and that some of the best parts of me are directly from him. Sometimes people slip and call me Ed...people that never knew my dad...or knew that he was Ed. I don't really mind though...it reminds me I'm a lot like my father. And that's not a bad thing. We should be reminded we're more like our Father more often!!! So...what's in a name.....MEMORIES, LAUGHTER, TEARS, IDENTITY, HERITAGE, LOVE, & HOPE. I know, this isn't the most fluid of blogs, but my thoughts are a bit jumbled..and this is what fell out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. And how awesome to realize that you are like him. Maybe your children will be like you.... love ya, "Ma" Bell