March 3, 2009

...a dad's perspective...

A week from now I'll be able to hold my baby girl. The thought of her makes my heart flutter & my eyes well up. I've enjoyed feeling her(and at times seeing her)move around as she grows in the safety of Shana's womb, and every chance we've been given to see her through modern technology has brought me so much happiness. I can not wait to see her face to face. Holding her close. Her little hand gripping my finger. Finding rest on her daddy's shoulder or in my arms...all nestled in.

I truly miss my dad. It is the only sadness I feel in the mist of the excitement of Margaret's coming. He will never see her...he will never hold her...he will never have the joy of being a grandpa. I am sad that I'll not be able to ask him questions about what it was like for him when my sister and I were born. I can imagine his face if he were still alive... to see my daughter...the joy and the pride..the amazing smile! He will not see her...but I know I'll see him in her! My dad was too large of a personality to not leave a mark on all generations after him(if you've seen me...you've seen my father!!)

In all of this, I know that there is amazing parallel to our Heavenly Father!! The joy He must have as we grow. How excited He must get when we grab ahold of Him...or rest our head on Him finding our peace. Also, like my earthly father.....I pray that my daughter sees him in me....and HIM in me! I desire to be a reflection of the Lord to Margaret...and example of His love.

These are just the thoughts of a new dad......

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Ted, this makes me wanna cry. We truly have an amazing God, who provides us with those little moments. I cannot wait to see this precious baby! :)

Unknown said...

Your dad will see her, he helped pick her out for you! This I believe with my whole heart, and as for not knowing her...it is not the same but I know you talk to him and will continue to do so about her.